Best Traditional Taiwanese Breakfast at Taipei - Fu Hang Dou Jiang 阜杭豆漿

Fu Hang Dou Jiang 阜杭豆漿 is an extremely popular and packed breakfast spot in Taipei for both locals and tourists. Located at Hua Shan Market, everyday people will patiently line up for the long queue to get a taste. 
First Queue Outside the Building

Go towards Building Queue after around 10mins

Going upstairs wait around 25mins
Despite the lines, I think it's a must try for anyone visiting Taipei who wants to partake of authentic Taiwanese breakfast food, but there are other places that are just as good or better than you'd have to find out about from a local, and even then, the particular local that you talk to could be wrong based on their own biases.

Arrived 2nd Floor and stil queueing. 
Fu Hang Dou Jiang is one of those places that you'd never find unless you knew someone that knew it was there. It's tucked on the 2nd floor of a local market and doesn't have an obvious storefront for passerby. Once I made my way up the stairs, I was amazed at the long wait. It was a weekday morning around 10AM, and it was about a 30-55 minute wait. 


Not over. The opening hours are from 5:30am till 12:30pm. Yes, people come in the wee hours before the sun rises to queue. Constantly, every day, except Mondays (when they are closed). At least you can admire the process when you get closer to the front- the freshly made you tiao and sao bing get baked and fried and toasty.







The menu is mostly in Chinese, though up front there are some picture menus with English. 


Most of the traditional Chinese breakfast menu items are available here including sweet soy milk (warm or cold) or dou jiang, salty soy milk (hot), fried doughnuts or you tiao, sao bing or sesame flatbread, rice balls or fan tuan. 


I ordered 3 individual cold soy milk (NT$22)  for three of us which they will serve in a bowl with a spoon if you eat there instead of to-go unless you request a cup and straw. And it was goooooooood :")

Not forgetting the famous rice glutinous ball, it tasty, flaky, spicy and so packed. But I still prefer the one that I tried at Taichung. But it still a good one. 


The hou bing has a slightly sweeter and chewier taste than the thinner sao bing(NT$18). It had a distinctive taste and would make for a hearty breakfast. You can get it by itself (NT$25), with egg (NT$35) or with you tiao (NT$45). The regular sao bing you tiao (NT$38) which was crispy and flaky, but wished the you tiao was crispier.

The Dan Bing or you called it fried crepe with egg and scallions, for me it was chewy and has it smoky fragrant flavor. It smooth but crispy on the outside. 


Salty Soy Milk 
The salty soy milk seemed to have a strong soy sauce flavor and was a green light for me. This is it! The authentic Taiwanese Breakfast dish that I've been looking for. At first, I doubt this a lot because I never thought that Salty soy milk does exist and eventually they ate it with youtiao... It's weird. BUT, Surprisingly it tastes super good! Gosh! 
Really, If I am not considering the long queue I will definitely order a second bowl all by myself.

Overall, despite it long queue I will definetly come back to Fu Hang Dou Jiang when I'm visiting Taipei in the future. It's 9/10 for me definetly.


Hua Shan Market
2F., No. 108, Sec. 1, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Jhongjheng Dist., Taipei City 100
台北市忠孝東路一段1082
(02) 2392-2175


Comments

Popular Posts